Tuesday 30 April 2013

[Review] Holika Holika 3' Seconds Starter Hyaluronic Acid

Hey guys! I'm here with a review of something that I have been using for the past month or so: Holika Holika's 3" Seconds Starter Hyaluronic Acid

As Australia is entering into winter, my skin becomes more parched. Especially since I have mild eczema, it can definitely get uncomfortable sometimes. I purchased this product hoping to avoid this discomfort this winter. Having used this for quite sometime, I think I have enough faith to say that I am confident in what I have to say about this product. 







What is Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic acid is a substance that is found naturally in the body with higher concentrations found in our joints and in the eyes. Although, there is not much evidence to support this- it is widely regarded as the 'fountain of youth' for its anti-aging and hydrating properties. What makes hyaluronic acid so special is that it can hold 1000 times its weight in water. Now that is some serious hydration.


Holika Holika 3" Seconds Starter Hyaluronic Acid

The concept behind this product is the 3 second rule. What is the 3 second rule you ask. The 3 second rule refers to the the 3 second period that you have straight after cleansing in which you should apply any serum or creams for optimal retention of moisture in your skin. The skin begins to lose moisture as soon as you stop cleansing. Since the pores are opened up, moisture is able to dissipate fairly quickly, thus to trap the moisture within the skin, we should moisturise ASAP.


How I Use It

I have been using this both day and night. After cleansing the face, I will apply the Hyaluronic Acid, after the acid has been about 80% absorbed, I'll either apply a serum or a moisturiser to seal it in. 

Results

I've been using this for about a month. The formula is light and is absorbed quickly by the skin. It also has a nice scent which is light and refreshing.



Light and watery formula


I haven't a dramatic difference or improvement in my skin in terms of hydration, in fact my skin has become a little drier which i found quite surprising. So I decided to look up the ingredient list for this product. I could only find it on mllou's website:

'Water, Ethanol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, Bis-Peg-18 Methyl Ether Dimethyl Silane, Lotus Extract, Lotus Leaf Extract, Lotus Root Extract, Lotus Seed Extract, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Glycereth-26, Peg-7 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Betaine, Bilberry Fruit Leaf Extract, Sugar Cane Extract, Sugar Maple Extract, Orange Extract, Lemon Extract, Carbomer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP CopolymerTriethanolamine, Glacial Water, Phospholipids, Sodium Hyaluronate, Disodium EDTA, Xanthan Gum, Imperatoria Ostruthium Extract, Hydrolyzed Viola Tricolor Extract, Polysorbate 80, Platinum Powder, Methylparaben, Fragrance.'


Looking the ingredient list with ethanol being the second most prominent ingredient in this product made me understand. Ethanol is a drying ingredient thus it seems counterintuitive to include it in a product which is supposed to hydrate the skin.

What I Think
Overall, I'm disappointed in this product. It did not work well for my skin unfortunately. It might work with extremely oily skin, might hydrate it without it being too oily.

I have given this product to my sister who has oily skin to try. If anyone with oily skin wants to know how it worked for her leave a comment and I'll ask for her opinion. :)

In terms of hyaluronic acid's I might try Hado Labo's Super Hyaluronic Acid- their ingredient's list looks a little more promising. Has anyone tried this and would you recommend it?

No comments:

Post a Comment